With over 600 million people across the African continent still in need of electricity, the energy sector is pivotal to the Firm’s practice. Our lawyers have been involved in advising both the Private Sector and Public Sector on various energy projects in sub-Saharan Africa ranging from regulatory compliance, due diligence exercises, fund raising, refinancing, and restructuring transactions within the energy sector.
These have included projects across the electricity generation, transmission and distribution life cycle. Specialist services include advising on and negotiating Power Purchase Agreements, EPC Contracts, Power Supply Agreements, Concession Agreements and O&M Agreements for various energy projects.
- Legal Advisor to the Tana & Athi Rivers Development Authority in its negotiations with a Mauritius-based consortium for the development of a 700 MW hydropower and multipurpose dam and over 180 Km of Transmission Lines and associated substations on a DBFOM model and advising on the draft PPA issued by Kenya Power & Lighting Company.
- Advisor to private project sponsor in its negotiations with strategic investors in respect of a 40MW solar power plant in Kenya including the review and amendments to various term sheets; advising on the legal and regulatory framework governing the energy sector and providing support to project sponsor in engagements with the regulator and Ministry of Energy.
- Advising a private developer on the project structuring, strategic incorporation and land acquisition in respect of the development of a 140MW geothermal power plant in Kenya.
- Advising on and providing negotiation support to the Client as the employer in the Construction Contract in respect of a 66/11 kV substation in Kenya.
- Advising on the development of the CGGT power plant in Takoradi, Ghana.